Past Meeting Notices – 2017

 

Back to Monthly Meeting


December 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Paul Woolard, will open the meeting and George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session. This will be followed by the President’s Report.

Our first speaker will be Dave Botherway who will give us an update on recent NBN issues facing members and explain some of the tools available to track progress.

At 8:00 p.m. George Skarbek will be giving us a demonstration of a good and free image viewer.

After the social break, John Hall will talk on: “The Melbourne PC Membership System” – John will give an update on how we are using the System to better communicate with Members and the types of facilities that we could be giving our Members in the future.

At about 9:25 George Skarbek will give a short presentation of What’s New.


November 2017 Meeting

Melb PC November Monthly Meeting and Annual General Meeting

The next monthly meeting is on Wednesday 1st November at 7.00 pm at Melbourne PC User Group headquarters, Level 1, Suite 26, 479 Warrigal Road, Moorabbin (near Corner Cochranes Rd).

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Paul Woolard, will open the meeting. George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session.
This will be followed by the President’s Report.

Our AGM will begin at 7.30 pm.

After the AGM and social break, Mr Viktor Krstew will introduce us to the B1 product with basic explanations of the theory behind the product. B1 Hub is a home automation system. It does much more than merely turn things on and off in your home- it connects the devices in your home wirelessly and gets them talking to each other. You simply use the B1 app on your smart phone to wirelessly control your home from anywhere in the world. Then there will be a practical live demonstration with verbal explanations.

At about 9:25 George Skarbek will give a short presentation of What’s New.


October 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Paul Woolard, will open the meeting. George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session.
This will be followed by the President’s Report.

At 7:30 our speaker will be John Morris.  He will cover two software products.  WinDirStat, a disk usage statistics viewer and clean up tool for various versions of Microsoft Windows and PrintFriendly web page print.  The later software cleans and formats web pages for perfect print experience. PrintFriendly removes ads, navigation and web page junk, so you save paper and ink when you print. It’s free and easy to use. The hardware that John will show is a jump start pack.  It is a device that has very many features.

After the break David Stonier-Gibson, Microcontroller SIG coordinator, will discuss the challenges of designing a course to introduce young people to robotics. The course should be running early next year, and will hopefully bring new young members into MelbPC. David’s talk will include a description and demo of the prototype wheeled robots he is developing for the course.

Then George Skarbek will present a short section on What’s New.


September 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Paul Woolard, will open the meeting. George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session. This will be followed by the President’s Report.

At 7:30 our speaker will be John Hall. The title of this talk will be – “The Melbourne Computer Club” – John will give an overview of a new approach to Marketing the Melbourne PC User Group to a wider audience.

After the break, the photography competition entries will be shown on the screen. Then the winners will be announced.

Then John Hall will talk on: “The new on-line Melbourne PC Membership System” – John will demonstrate how the new Membership System will enable our members to self-subscribe to SIG Meetings and renew their Annual Membership fees via the Internet.

At about 9:20 George Skarbek will give a short presentation of What’s New.


August 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Paul Woolard, will open the meeting. George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session. This will be followed by the President’s Report.

Our first speaker will be Amy Jaballah who will let us know how to prepare for NBN.

Amy has worked at NBN for a number of years. The focus of her team’s role is to communicate with councils on the roll out of the NBN network as well as educate the community on what the roll out of the NBN means for them, and what they need to do when it arrives. The roll out is well advanced across Melbourne, and Amy will also provide a general overview and status of the roll out.

After the break, George Skarbek will give a live demonstration of how to find out what actually is slowing your computer down and what you need to know when contemplating the purchasing your next computer.

At 9:20 George Skarbek will give a short presentation of What’s New.


July 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Paul Woolard, will open the meeting. George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session. This will be followed by the President’s Report.

Our first speaker, Robert Lewis, has just published The Story of Australia, a history written on behalf of the National Museum of Australia in Canberra. The focus is on the story, and on people, more than on politics and economics.

After the break Leighton West will present an Overview of iHelp its function, tools and web facilities.

At 9:20 George Skarbek will give a short presentation of What’s new.


June 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Stewart Gruneklee will open the meeting. George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session. This will be followed by the President’s Report.

At 7:30 Bob Pease, a member of the Australian Mechanical Organ Society will give a presentation on the design, building and operation of a mechanical music organ. These machines can be considered to be an early form of programmable music player. See how early technology is recreated using current CNC machining and design technology.

After the break Dave Botherway will talk about NBN – What ? When ? Cost ?

The National Broadband Network is now rolling out across Australia and will affect us all. Dave will explain what’s happening, connection methods available and how to find out when your area will be ready. He will also cover the likely costs depending upon your planned usage of both voice and data.

The meeting will be brought to a close with George Skarbek’s latest in his series “What’s New”.


May 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Stewart Gruneklee will open the meeting.  George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session. This will be followed by the President’s Report.

Our first presentation – “ThinkUKnow” – Members of the Australian Federal Police community liaison team will explain to us what they are doing in the area of cyber safety and security.

ThinkUKnow is a free, evidence-based cyber safety program that provides accessible cyber safety education to parents, carers and teachers through schools and organisations across Australia. ThinkUKnow uses a network of trained law enforcement members and accredited volunteers from our program partner organisations to deliver the cyber safety education presentations nationwide.

ThinkUKnow is a partnership between Microsoft Australia, Datacom and the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, and is delivered in collaboration with the New South Wales Police Force, Northern Territory Police, Queensland Police Services, South Australia Police, Tasmania Police, Western Australia Police and Neighbourhood Watch Australasia.

After the break the second presentation will be “It’s Your Money Ralf – An Opportunity To Do Better”

Graham McColough FIEAust CPEng(Ret) a professional engineer and long term member of Melb PC has become proficient at managing his self-managed superannuation fund and controlling several individual share portfolios. He has a record of success in the share market that continued on from when he was appointed as an employee representative of a large superannuation fund.

He currently guides a share group meeting on behalf of a software company called Lincoln StockDoctor. This group has met for 7 years with a very successful share market track record. He is a long term member of the the Investment Tools SIG (formerly WASINT SIG). His talk will point out the difficulties of successful investment without assistance.

The meeting will be brought to a close with George Skarbek’s latest in his series “What’s New”.


April 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Stewart Gruneklee will open the meeting. George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session. This will be followed by the President’s Report.

Before the break our speaker is Tennessee Leeuwenburg, a professional software engineer who manages a team of people all working with Python programming language. Tennessee is passionate about technology, and in getting involved with the community. He has given many presentations at programming conferences including PyCon AU and the Open Source
Developer’s Conference.

– Python for parents — things you can do with your kids (Minecraft and other games)
– Python and embedded electronics — Arduino and Raspberry Pi
– Getting set up and getting started with Python programming
– Overview of the Python community in Melbourne — meetup groups and the PyCon AU conference

After the break, David Fuller, Melb PC member for over 25 years, will demonstrate GIMP.

GIMP is a Image Manipulation Program suitable for tasks such as photo retouching and image composition.
GIMP is a cross-platform image editor available for Windows, GNU/Linux, OS X, and more operating systems.
GIMP is also available as a portable application for Windows.
GIMP is a free program.

The meeting will be brought to a close with George Skarbek’s latest in his series “What’s New”.


March 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Stewart Gruneklee will open the meeting. George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session. This will be followed by the President’s Report.

Before the break Mohan Gupta will talk to us about the Melb PC 3D printer.

After the interval Stewart Bedford will give a presentation:

“Australian Consumer Law: encouraging retailers to honour their warranty obligations”

This will be followed by George Skarbek’s latest in his series “What’s New” – this month there’s something new deserving specially detailed attention.


February 2017 Meeting

At seven o’clock sharp our MC, Stewart Gruneklee will open the meeting. George Skarbek will host the usual Q&A Session.

At about 7.20 there will be a new section, also presented by George Skarbek, called “What’s New”. George will mention some forthcoming advances largely, but not entirely, related to computer technology.

This will be followed by the President’s Report.

Before the break Colin Carter will give a presentation on “The Decline of Melb PC Membership, the consequences and what to do about it”.

After the break, Dave Botherway will give a presentation on “Home Networking – What, Why, How . . . “