From The President July 2021
24th July 2021
Interesting Internet Finds
24th July 2021

Kevin Gray

Dear David,

This is a short note of thanks to the Melbourne PC User Group.
I’ve been a member for just on 30 years. One of my moves into a different vocation over my lifetime involved writing database programs. These were very successful mainly because of the assistance I received from the SIGs. I wrote programs for Law Offices, Hotels, The Alfred Hospital etc. Not so oddly enough if I look back at any of my programs now I have no idea how I did them. Time can be a nuisance.
My biggest thank you to you and the Melbourne PC User Group is for the webinar you organised in February this year by Prof. Nathan Lawrentschuk. I not only viewed the webinar, I recorded it because I thought this could be valuable knowledge. Lo and behold a blood test in March showed a PSA (prostate specific antigen) of 46. The GP said he would refer me to a urologist. I said no you won’t. I want a referral to Nathan Lawrentschuk. He said he hadn’t heard of him. I responded by saying that Nathan was the only person I wished to see.
After MRIs, biopsies, PET scans and reinforcing orthopaedic surgery I have the full knowledge of my predicament i.e. advanced, metastatic prostate cancer. I am in a trial at Peter Mac for the latest treatment of this dreadful disease and the prognosis is extremely hopeful. My PSA has gone from a high of 56 to 1.69 last Tuesday (Jul 13).
In Nathan’s presentation he quoted a statistic that if a man at the age of 40 had a PSA lower than 0.7 he would have a 99% chance of never suffering prostate cancer. My PSA at age 62 was 0.6. I mentioned that to Nathan and he said “you are just in the unlucky 1%”. Bummer!
So David I know in my heart that you and the user group have substantially extended my life and most probably saved my life by organising that magnificent prostate cancer presentation.
THANK YOU!
image_pdfimage_print
Join Now